Steam Workshop support is being added to Supreme Ruler Ultimate effective version 9.1.286+ (March 2020 Update).
Workshop items supported are MAPS and MODS, described below.
Workshop type MAPS:
- Upload from: \Scenario\Workshop
- A "Package" of a .scenario file and as many game items as necessary
- Game items load from Workshop path if available, then check SRU path
- SP: Listbox 1534
- MP: switch list as with Save games; Listbox 2907
Workshop type MODS:
- Upload from: ??
- Replacement/addition items for anything in game root path
- Once "subscribed", will be used for file load paths
- Search workshop paths, in order, until file found
- If file not found, use default SRU path
- Optional, handle file list paths (ie Sandbox) by combining all results into one
- Could be unsubscribed from SRU
- Optional, could query list and subscribe from within SRU
- Note: This usage can cause conflicts with other workshop items, unexpected changes (ie flag replacements), issues with core game, etc
Uses of Steam Workshop
- Create a new Sandbox/Scenario (MAPS)
- Created in \Scenario\Workshop\
- Create a .scenario file
- Create a folder with the same name for scenario-specific files
- Optional: Create folders with override for default game (Maps\, Graphics\ etc)
- Upload to Steam using Asset Tool
- Create Mods for Core Game (MODS)
- Create a folder structure with changed files
- Can be in any folder - Sandbox\ etc, Maps\, Graphics\, Localize\ etc
- Can also override data from existing Core Sandbox, Campaign, or Scenario
- Can override in the Sandbox\... folder, and/or the Common\ folder etc
- Upload to Steam using ???
Game Engine initializes Steam during application startup, before main menu display
- Workshop items should be retrieved before menu is called, so that graphics and haps will load through the workshop sequence.
- Items that load before workshop data is available:
- Splash screens (BltSplashScreen) - pubsplash, splash, splashme/box
- If Workshop data arrives in time, everything else should be OK
- When a new Workshop MAPS game is started, all graphics (textures) are unloaded
- This will force the game to use any graphics in the MAPS workshop folders first
- This may cause brief visual anomalies when starting a new game
- Other workshop changes (ie turning MODS items on/off) usually require a game restart.
- There are some items (ie FONTS pages, Cursors) that can't be modded in MAPS files, as they are not unloaded.
File Loading Sequence - stops at first found:
- If MAPS: MAPS workshop path
- If not MAPS: Loop through each MODS path looking for Scenario Path overrides
- If not MAPS: Scenario Path in Default installation
- Default installation
For Example - loading Sandbox SR1940, looking for Default.WMData
- Look through all MODS : <Modpath>\Sandbox\SR1940\MAPS\Default.WMData
For Example - Loading MAPS Workshop Scenario SRNEW, looking for Default.WMData
Limitations of Steam Workshop
The following are currently limitations with the Steam Workshop implementation:
- Workshop maps cannot be used with multiplayer games.
- Workaround: Host starts/creates game, saves it, and then transfers save game to other players
- Workshop type MAPS items cannot modify game engine items such as graphics pages without side effects; use MODS type items for this.